From:
David Post <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Post <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2015 10:06:54 -0400
At 04:44 AM 5/12/2015, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>[SNIP]If ALAC or other groups leaning toward eternal internal do not
>accept this middle ground solution (PTI as separate affiliate) they
>will halt the progress of the names proposal and create delays that
>create a very high probability of killing the transition. That is
>not an exaggeration. If CWG cannot come out of this public comment
>period with a strong endorsement of the basic approach, there will
>be no proposal ready for ICANN 53 (Buenos Aires). If that happens,
>we are forcing NTIA to produce at LEAST a one year extension of the
>contract. There are people in Congress and the general environment
>who, when it is extended, will push for a 2-year. Even if it is not
>a 2 year extension, there are plenty of things that can happen in a
>year to further delay, obstruct etc.
>
>The eternal internals will never get what they want. The issue is
>whether they will act as dogs in the manger who prevent anyone from
>getting anything out of the transition.

I do think, FWIW, that we could all use a clearer statement about why
this middle ground solution will actually work, in addition to it
simply being the best compromise available.  It does seem to me that
it violates (or is an exception to) one of the basic principles: that
the policymaking and  operational roles should be in different
hands.  For naming function, at least, that won't quite be true,
because PTI will be an ICANN subsidiary - with special status and a
degree of independence, perhaps, but still a part of, and ultimately
controlled by, the DNS policymaker (ICANN).

That doesn't mean its necessarily a bad idea; sometimes basic
principles have to be compromised, and need to be flexible and all
that.  But I think skepticism is appropriate - why should we be
comfortable with any structure that puts policymaking and operational
functions into one place?  I think some of us need some more
persuading on that -

David

> > In a way, I expect that we will have some who can't live with this solution
> > from each of the two extremes.  For some it won't be internal enough, for
> > others it won't be independent enough.  The questions will be,
> does it solve
> > the biggest concerns of each camp and can enough live with it?
> >
> > avri
> >
> > On 11-May-15 10:31, William Drake wrote:
> > > Hi

> > > I think a nice capsule summary of the differences between  ALAC (which
> > > is not to say At Large) and NCSG on these issues would be most helpful
> > > if someone could provide.
> > >
> > > Bill
> >

> > ---

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic publications
etc.  http://www.davidpost.com