From:
"Subrenat, Jean-Jacques" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Subrenat, Jean-Jacques
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2015 18:15:47 +0200
Dear Sam,

thank you for those interesting remarks. Indeed, the increased use of VPNs, as well as encryption, says something about the growing awareness of Internet users about data theft, online crime, privacy made insecure.

Some years ago, there was a sense that mass surveillance and censorship, rife in dictatorships, was not a problem in long-standing democracies. More recently, the social and political organization of a country is no longer an absolute guarantee of protection for its Internet users. There is now a "sad convergence" between countries we (rightly) have been criticizing, and democracies where human and civic rights are being curtailed in the name of some higher purpose, be that the "war on terror" or the consolidation of corporate interests. Two years ago I wrote a piece in CircleID, "Global surveillance: towards convergence?", http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130826_global_surveillance_towards_convergence/

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.