From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 23:24:11 -0400
Hi,

Well the final plan for the Accountability process seems to be out.

https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-08-14-en

I think our next step is to start figuring out how we are going to work
with it.  We have done whatever we could to adjust it based on NCSG
principles, but at this point, I think that phase of the process is
pretty much over.  I believe that the effect of the various GNSO SG
letters was positive as I think the process is better now than the
earlier version we saw.  I think there is stuff I could quibble about,
but structurally the plan makes sense to me, and I think it can work as
a way for the community, both inside ICANN and the global community, to
do something to improve ICANN accountability.  I think it could achieve
a lot given the dependency of the transition process on the
accountability process.

It looks like that at least for the next year, it is going to involve a
whole bunch of work and steady attention from the SG.  Between this and
the transition, we will be busy.  Not to mention the regular progression
of GNSO issues that are already important and hard enough.

Speaking of the IANA Transtion and the  CWG charter, I have not seen the
final version yet, but I do believe that the ICG language was put in as
recommended by Milton.  A few of us (indeed I was not a lone voice) also
argued to keep the last line we had indicating that the IANA
accountability issues were in scope for the CWG on IANA transition. I
think we got that in, but I am not positive yet.  I am hoping the SOACs
approve the charter quickly as once that happens the group can start to
work.

avri