From:
Milton Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milton Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:26:53 -0400
>>> <[log in to unmask]> 08/19/05 1:36 AM >>>
>* warnings from Ewan and others that this is not about censorship

I really find it rather amusing that we are having a debate about this.
The Bush administration has publicly declared their opposition to the
.xxx domain, and the Commerce Dept has openly cited the results of a
letter campaign by the Family Research Council, a US civil society
organization which openly advocates censorship of sexually explicit
material. If the USG is not responding to calls for censorship what is
it doing? Someone please explain this to me.

Ewan said that he didn't understand why the _voluntary classification
of domains under .xxx would be considered censorship_. He did not say
whether he thought the suppression of .xxx demanded by the Family
Research Council was censorship.