From:
"Andrew A. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew A. Adams
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:06:13 +0900
Robin,

My personal top three issues at present:

1. Ensuring that the multi-stakeholder model is not destroyed by top-level
late interventions overturning an often carefully crafted and negotiated
balance between the stakeholders. Allowing late interventions to have
significant impact really undermines this model, whether it's by the GAC or
anyone else. Governments manage long term involvement in all sorts of arena
(WTO, WIPO, OECD) all the time. If the Internet is so important then they
should be properly engaging in the multi-stakeholder process rather than
trying to do an end run.

2. Privacy for individuals. I remain unconvinced by the arguments that
individuals who wish to register domain names should lose their right to
privacy around their real world contact information. We need a deeper look at
the necessity for technical contact details to be provided and for the
registrar to be cntactable and have as part of their standard contract a way
of dealing with any significant technical problems (domain being used for
spam, fraud etc).

3. The high costs associated with the current round of GTLDs which militate
against both developing country players and against non-commercial players in
registering new GTLDs. Can the board please justify these costs beyond "what
the market will bear"?

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      [log in to unmask]
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and