From:
"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2013 14:50:17 +0200

Thanks Milton,

very balanced, very clear, full support.

An interesting side effect of the GAC communique is that the GAC more or less disclosed that they are unable to find consensus on clear and workable advise. In  You get different interpretations from different GAC members how serious the long and different lists with various degrees of "concerns" should be seen from a political and legal point of view. The only consensus was about the two cases of .africa and .gcc. All the others cases mentioned in the communique are open for interpretation (and can be also ignored). I would like to see a cases where ICANN just moves foreward, taking into account, that the GAC has raised something like a concern but concludes that this is not sufficient enough to slow down or stop the process. One could also say that the intergovernmental process, if it is pushed to come to concrete workable results, has reached its limits. It becomes more and more questionable whether the GAC as a "committee" is able to act united. This opens the door for new "rainbow coalations" among various constituencies within ICANN if some GAC members decide to take the "early engagement" seriously and become pulled into a process which later could lead to controversial discussions within the GAC plenary. :-))).