From:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2016 08:17:57 -0700
Hi Milton,

Thanks very much for your review of the draft bylaws.  I agree that the issue of mission limitation is a crucial one and we need to be sure that what CCWG agreed to is in fact what makes its way into the bylaws.

After reviewing the materials, I’m concerned that ICANN’s lawyers are using “renewals” of the gtld agreement as a way to circumvent the CCWG’s carefully crafted mission limitations on ICANN, which was not something that CCWG agreed to in our deliberations regarding how to structure the “grandfathering” of out-of-mission policies that exist in today's ICANN agreements.  The “compromise” of permitting those existing agreements to go unchallenged for their mission-creep is being stretched to the point of cancelling out the mission limitations on ICANN.

There was also a question raised as to whether the "GAC carve-out" should apply in a board member removal process when the board member is subject to a removal process because of a vote in support of a GAC Consensus Resolution.  As the intent of the GAC carve-out is to prevent “two bites at the apple” by GAC on a single issue, giving GAC a vote to remove a board member who doesn’t comply with GAC advice seems to go against the intent of the GAC carve-out.  While CCWG didn’t explicitly deal with this issue one way or the other, now that it has been noticed, it needs to be thought through before we decide one way or the other.

But overall, from my initial read, the draft bylaws are pretty good in terms of being faithful to what CCWG agreed to.

Best,
Robin