From:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2016 14:07:25 +0200
Dear Ayden,

On 06/03/2016 08:13 PM, Ayden Férdeline wrote:
> I tried responding on the pad, but it will not save my comments.
>
> I don't have a hard objection to the NCSG responding to this
> consultation – indeed, I believe we should be submitting responses
> whenever we are given the opportunity – but the drafted response is not
> one that I can support.
>
> What I see in the proposed revisions to the Expected Standards of
> Behaviour is a prime example of how you can change policy without
> changing practice (perhaps changing policy can even be a way of not
> changing practice? or maybe I shouldn't be so cynical).

Don't the two go hand in hand?

> Brett hit the
> nail on the head – what are the consequences for violating these
> Standards?

Am now completely unclear whether you would like enforcement (as Brett
argued), or not.

> And as Dorothy said, let's have some clarity and define these
> terms, because Marrakesh showed us that definitions of harassment can
> vary significantly from person to person.
>
> If I understand the point that Avri raised, that we would be best placed
> considering this issue in depth once we have more clarity around Work
> Stream 2, then I agree – but what choice did the Board have? 'We' asked
> that they institute changes immediately. Like cement we asked that
> changes be set before they harden. The problems and the complexities
> will not be clear immediately. Let us instead take our time and
> thoughtfully and collaboratively confront sexual harassment.

Are you saying that earlier contributions have not been thoughtful?

> This is essential because I have heard some NCSG members speak of sexual
> harassment as though it is an organisational problem, which in my view
> it isn't. It is possibly one of community culture, but if we accept
> that, we can't just push this back to ICANN to somehow deal with. I
> don't want a return to the Victorian moral panic of the 1880s, I don't
> want ICANN inhibiting anyone's free speech to satisfy a few special
> interests.

I am very surprised that you relate Victorian moral panic to
anti-harassment policy. Perhaps you should try to have a look at the
issue from a non-male perspective.

Secondly, I don't think anti-harassment is not a in the interest of a few.

> No 'conference harassment policy' is going to have meaningful
> community buy-in unless culture changes.

Chicken - egg, but we already discussed this point above.

> We need to tread carefully and
> think about how we want this to happen: personally, I'd be uncomfortable
> with the idea of a working group of self-appointed members working to
> impose their moral norms over the entire community.
>
> There is no need to rush through any changes to policy ahead of
> Helsinki. If anything, I feel like WE are more at fault here than ICANN
> as an organisation is. WE are not respecting the processes already in
> place to deal with sexual harassment, such as making contact and
> collaborating with the Ombudsman. WE have not been standing true to our
> principles of advocating for privacy by naming on public listservs the
> names of alleged perpetrators. When we behave in the manner that we have
> and threaten the organisation's reputation, the only reasonable response
> from ICANN can be one of damage limitation, which gets us nowhere.

Funny that you talk about everything here, except victims.

--
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9