From:
"Milan, Stefania" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milan, Stefania
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2016 15:33:32 +0000
Dear all
I have returned from a precious incommunicado week on the mountains to a... mountain of emails concerning the NCSG elections.

While it is great to see such heated debate around the future of our leadership, it is also painful to realize how potentially dangerous this is to our organization. Procedural issues are key, and I share the concerns raised here by a number of colleagues, including Milton, Stephanie, and Tatiana. I must admit I have only surveyed the many mails on the various threads, but I do add my voice to the request of suspending the current election and call for a new one with a ballot that gives members the chance to cast individual votes.

While I have no doubts about the good intentions of our chairman Tapani in compiling the ballot, I am worried about what the future holds for this group, in case of contested elections. Having just enough candidates to fill the available seats isn't a reason good enough to go for bulk votes. We need to be able to trust our representatives, and having a fair election process is the first step in this direction.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, and much thanks to all those who have spent and are spending much energies and time on this while many others, me included, are on holidays--first of all, Tapani. Luckily he is known to be a patient man.

My two cents, Stefania

Stefania Milan, PhD
University of Amsterdam || mediastudies.nl ||
stefaniamilan.net || @annliffey