From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2016 11:51:20 -0700
While not arguing any contrary position, I would point out that F2F
interaction is qualitatively different from remote communication (and
one may have radically different impressions of another person in person
compared to text-only or voice-only or even videoconferencing).  To the
extent that the human relationships between us underlying the working
relationships are important for working together effectively, it's
useful to have some F2F in the process as a routine matter.

That said, mediated interaction of course has huge potentials for
efficiency.  And I don't think anyone has suggested dropping F2F
altogether, but if anyone did I would think that would be too extreme.
However, finding the right balance would be a good thing.

It may help to frame F2F as importantly embodying a social purpose as
well as a working purpose (but a social purpose that in fact supports
the working purpose -- addressing values, mission, etc.).  That may lead
to evaluation of when it can be most useful versus when it becomes ore
superfluous.

And I acknowledge that my only participation in the last several years
(sporadic as it has been, at best) has been text-only!  But it was
founded on a solid amount of F2F at the outset a decade ago.  I do think
that some miscommunication in the remote mode could be avoided with some
F2F up front to get clear on motives, values, personalities ... a basic
level of trust.

Dan