From:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2016 11:49:44 +0200
Dear all,

With another week passing by I am afraid my point is being proven: there
is a lack of accountability a councilor and a candidate in our election.
Ed Morris has made a _very_ strong position in Marrakesh on Human Rights
(attached, page 39-41 or search for
North Korea') which has not been discussed on this list with the
community, as ordained in the charter and as I asked Ed in a policy
meeting as well as here on the list, both before and after he made the
statement.

This means that both as a councilor and as a candidate, Ed is in breach
of the NCSG charter, as previously quoted:

"Each NCSG GNSO Council Representative shall represent, within the GNSO

Council, ICANN and its activities, the goals and priorities of the NCSG

to the best of his/her ability and in accordance with the principle of

consensus building."

and:

"Council Representatives will, however, be expected to understand the

varied positions in the NCSG and to explain to the membership how their

votes are in support of noncommercial interests. NCSG GNSO Councilors

should work with the NCSG‑PC to develop NCSG policy positions. NCSG GNSO

Council Representatives are expected to keep the NCSG membership

informed of policy issues before the GNSO Council, to seek input from

the NCSG membership and to be responsive to member requests for

information on matters pending before the Council."

I have asked Ed to respond several times in person and on this list, he
chose not to respond.

This leaves me no other choice than to ask the NCSG EC to take a
position on this.

Best,

Niels

On 08/26/2016 01:01 PM, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> Dear Ed,
>
> Another week has gone by. These questions have been open for quite a
> while now, just like the elections. I would like to ask you again to
> answer these questions, because I think this is part of your obligations
> as a councilor as well as a candidate.
>
> Best,
>
> Niels
>
> On 08/22/2016 06:53 PM, Niels ten Oever wrote:
>> Dear Ed,
>>
>> I sympathize, but this is not the first time this question has been
>> brought up. And since the voting has started, I hope you can treat this
>> as a matter of priority.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Niels
>>
>> On 08/21/2016 07:46 PM, Edward Morris wrote:
>>> Hi James and Paul
>>>
>>> Thanks for your messages and for your enthusiasm!
>>>
>>> I need to apologize – this is the busiest time of the year for me
>>> workwise. Our academics here, students and professors, often disappear
>>> from the lists for a few weeks around exam time. It’s crunch time for