From:
Shane Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shane Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2016 13:56:53 +0200
Ayden,

I haven't gone through the (780) possible requirements - apologies.
Your mail sparked some thoughts that I mentioned earlier on-list, but
I'll bring up again.

----

One thing that I am curious about is whether there are requirements for
how access is delivered, as well as transparency and auditing of access
to data.

I am thinking of the case where a law-enforcement agency (LEA) gains
access to private data (like phone numbers). Ideally the LEA would have
to impose controls over who within the LEA has access to the data. For
example, it would be nice to know if a police officer was using RDS
data for extortion of stalking or the like - which can only be done if
the LEA has unique access credentials with strong authentication. I'm
not sure how this could be best made into a policy, but I think that it
is important (surely ICANN has experience with related
cross-organizational privacy restrictions from the registry/registrar
model).

Likewise, it would be good to know if an LEA (or anyone else) was
mining the data for mass-surveillance purposes or the like. While
registries may not be legally permitted to report such information,
there are good models that can be encouraged, such as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_report

----

In a related topic, both registrars and registrants may want to know
when information about the registrant is accessed. (This is certainly
technologically possible. LinkedIn tells me how many people have looked
at my page when I log in.) As a registrant, I probably also want
context... if my basic data was shown 10 times in a month and my full
data was shown 2 times, is that less or more than average?

On the other hand, registrants may NOT want information stored about
access to their data, as any information that is stored can presumably
be accessed by LEA. That implies some sort of way for registrants and/or
registrars to specify preferences for the handling of meta-information
about who has accessed what records.

----

Again, sorry for not going through the possible requirements to see if
they are listed. I am being lazy and hoping that since you have put in
so much work on this that you will know roughly what is contained. ;)

Cheers,

--
Shane