From:
"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 2016 16:21:54 +0100
I remember a US Senator who started a campaign in 2005 that the UN will overtake the Internet. This was nonsense. UN Secretary General Kofi Annan wrote an article in the "Washington Post" at the eve of WSIS II in Tunis declaring that the UN has no plans and no ambitions to overtake or rule the Internet. However, the Senator continued to argue that the UN plans to overtake the Internet. The outcome of the WSIS II was the launch of the IGF and the recognition of ICANN. When the Senator returned from Tunis, he posted on his website: "I saved the Internet". I did not follow whether the "savior of the Internet" used his "Tunis success" in his election campaign in 2006.

Be careful to mix propagandistic noise with real issues.

Wolfgang