From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:31:10 +0300

Hi

As described in the charter, the NCSG-PC makes policy decisions on
rough consensus (which I expect we might have had had we discussed
it).  We are supposed to make our decisions consistent with the
discussions that go on in the discussion list, recognizing that we
often have split views on things in a SG this large and diverse. In
addition to the NCSG's council members who 'vote' our conscience in
both the PC and the council (you vote us out when our conscience no
longer matches the community conscience) and representatives from each
of the two constituencies.

The NCSG-Executive Committee can define specific processes for each
type of decision the PC makes, if it so desires.  These processes need
to be reviewed by the members.  At this point there are not special
processes defined for the PC other than what the charter defined, i.e.
rough consensus.

As I said in my note to the GNSO council on this issue, I too believe
there are issues to be discussed.  I, for example, think it would have
been wise for the Board to call for a second comment period given the
extent of the changes they made to the plan after the last comment
period. Ad as I wrote in blog on the subject, they of course need to
work with the two groups to develop charters and not impose them from
above.  I also agree that they should have published the synthesis
that is normally published by the policy team for any policy
decisions.  I am not sure, though, that we had a valid claim for
reconsideration, since those depend on a process violation, and I am
not sure which of the by-laws processes they did not follow.  This is
of course one of the things we need to fix in ICANN accountability,
reconsideration should be possible based on content and community
option.  At this point, however and unfortunately, that is not the case.

avri