From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:42:45 +0200
Dear all,

Poll results from the intersessional timing options were, unfortunately
but not unexpectedly, not conclusive. The choices could have been better
phrased - some people emailed me offlist about that - but time was short.

As it is, only 1 (can't make it) was clearly defined, the rest were
basically just a scale of preferability, and so averaging them out
makes at least some sense.

Here's a summary of results, for each category and month averages
(excluding "no opinion" ones) and in parentheses the number of "can't
make it" choices:

count category		Feb	   Apr-May	  Aug-Sep
4 Councillors		3.7(1)	   2.7(1)	  2.0(2)
3 NCSG EC		3.7(1)	   3.5(0)	  2.0(0)
1 NCSG PC		5.0(0)	   2.0(0)	  3.0(0)
4 NCUC EC		4.8(0)	   3.0(1)	  3.5(0)
2 NPOC EC		4.5(0)	   3.5(0)	  4.0(0)
10 Other		3.3(2)	   4.1(1)	  3.7(2)

14 All except "Other"	4.2(2)	   3.1(2)	  3.4(2)
24 All 	      		3.9(4)	   3.5(3)	  3.5(4)

My conclusion is that there's no really strong preference to any,
but February is slightly preferred (especially if we give less
weight to "Other" category, who are less likely to participate).

A couple of people commented that the latter two choices, but
especially April/May, would depend a lot on the exact date:
there're lots of other meetings and events people will be
participating in that timeframe.

The time should be decided tomorrow. Before that, we should try to
answer the questions posed by Tony Holmes below.

For the first one I guess we can answer "no": none of the times impose
severe constraints for us, even though all of them are bad for at
least two council/EC members.

For question 4 it's not clear-cut, but given the poll results
I'd suggest order would be (1) Feb (2) Aug-Sep (3) Apr-May
(the latter two decided by non-Other category).

For questions 2 and 3 I'd like to ask you all what other
ICANN/IGF-related events you may be participating in the
timeframes given (to reduce clutter on the list you can
send them just to me and I'll summarize them here).

Tapani

----- Forwarded message from tonyarholmes <[log in to unmask]> -----

Rob/All

We agreed we will try and nail the date for the next intercessional during a
30 minute call next week.

To try and avert what Klaus described as 'going around in circles', perhaps
the following approach could help narrow the options prior to that call.

It appeared that the possibility of tagging an intercessional on to the
front or end of the Copenhagen or Johannesburg meetings was dismissed, which
left us with 3 options on the table at the end of the call;

-          Week beginning February 13th

-          Late April/beginning of May

-          Beyond Johannesburg (effectively late Aug/early Sept)

Suggest as representatives from our respective groups, in advance of the
call we try and respond to Rob on the following questions;

1.       Do any of those options impose severe constraints on the ability of
your members to attend? If so, what are they and can they be overcome?

2.       During the suggested time frame for late April/beginning of May are
there major conflicts due to other Internet Governance, Regional, standards
bodies, trade association, other, meetings? If so what are they and when
will they take place?

3.       Beyond Johannesburg,  late Aug/early Sept, are there major
conflicts due to other Internet Governance, Regional, standards bodies,
trade association, other meetings? If so what are they and when will they
take place?

4.       Can you rank the 3 options on the table in order of preference.

If it proves possible to do this it may help focus thoughts during our 30
minute call. Just a suggestion.

Regards

Tony

----- End forwarded message -----