From:
Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2024 11:04:36 +0100
FYI, message from Tripti Sinha, Chair, ICANN Board of Directors:

Dear Noncommercial Stakeholder Group Leaders,

The Board and I are very much looking forward to meeting with you All,
in Puerto Rico, for ICANN79 (02-07 March).

It will be our first meeting of 2024, another important and exciting
year for ICANN as we continue to work together on multiple fronts: the
first phase of applications to the ICANN Grant Program to be opened in
the forthcoming weeks, the new five-year Strategic Plan currently being
drafted and of course the Next Round of new gTLDs, to name a few.

As announced last year, wehave also continued working on enhancing our
partnership with the community. For the upcoming ICANN Public Meeting
(ICANN79),the Board is planning to hold an open engagement session,
which we hope will be another opportunity for interested community
members to engage directly with the Board on specific topics. *This
session will be part of ICANN79 Prep week and will be held on Wednesday
21 February at 16:30 UTC.*

This 60-minute engagement session will include three breakout rooms
hosted by different Board members, each covering a different topic.
Following a brief welcome plenary, community members will be asked to
join one of the three breakout rooms for a 40-minute discussion with the
Board hosts for that topic. Attendees will be able to move freely
between the three breakout rooms. The session will conclude with all
attendees coming together to hear each Board host’s summary of the
discussions in their respective breakout rooms.

**

*Topic 1: FY26-30 Strategic Planning*

•Led by Maarten Botterman and Chris Buckridge

•Format of the engagement: discussion and soliciting input

from attendees on how the input from the community – including through
the various environmental scans, strategic trend outlook sessions and
other consultations – can form the basis of the strategic objectives and
goals for the next Five-Year Strategic Plan, and what metrics should be
included as part of the Plan.

*Topic 2**:**The Board’s Role & Responsibilities **when Board-Adopted
Policies Do Not Address the Problems They Were Developed to Solve*

•         Led by Becky Burr and Alan Barrett

•         Format of the engagement: discussion and input

invite community feedback on how to handle situations where it becomes
clear that community-developed gTLD policies adopted by the Board are
superseded by subsequent events or are otherwise not able to, or can no
longer, resolve the problems they were designed to address. There is
currently no Bylaw or process for such a circumstance, other than the
Board requesting that the community initiate another full policy
development process. As the Board continues to engage with the GNSO on
this topic, the community is invited to brainstorm possible solutions.

*Topic 3: Environmental Sustainability at ICANN*

•         Led by Sally Costerton and León Sanchez

•         Format of the engagement: discussion and soliciting input

solicit community input on how to best advance ICANN’s environmental
sustainability efforts, in line with FY24 CEO Goal 8. Drawing on the
expertise of the community will help shape the dialogue for more
sustainable planning for ICANN meetings and operations.

The Board is very much looking forward to this new engagement
opportunity and hopes that you will participate actively.

It is to be noted that there will be technical limitations to the use of
breakout rooms such as: no translation or transcription services
available. Yet the ICANN Staff will support this engagement session and
take notes. If this experiment is successful, we could replicate it
moving forward.

Meanwhile though, it is important that we continue listening to your
specific needsduring our bilateral sessionsand we are also therefore
keeping to the practice of asking questionsto _your_Group ahead of our
joint session in Puerto Rico:

*- There is an ICANN CEO goal to have the organization develop and
implement a communications and engagement strategy to address the WSIS
20-year review - what are the NCSG’s views on ICANN engagement
priorities and strategies in this space?

- Engagement with between groups and bodies in the ICANN space is
continuing to evolve, including with the introduction of session in the
Prep Week and breakout rooms on specific issues of current interest -
does the NCSG have views on these new approaches or how to continue
improving engagement strategies?*

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this soon.

Looking forward to engaging discussions during Prep Week and ICANN79!

Best regards,