From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2014 18:26:54 -0400
This is my wrap up on this topic for now. As an economist I am a
supporter of market based decisions, but also a supporter of the right
rules of the game (or engagement). At that level my views are similar to
those expressed by Nicolas Adam. Where I differ is about the need for,
and growth of, some policies -at different levels and in different
places- to confront issues that are not settled by market forces, nor
within the existing rules of the game.

That difference produces a set of testable hypotheses, both around
Internet governance and policy, and where ICANN and its constituency
groups will end up in what unfolds. For this NCSG discussion, the
constituencies can watch, place their bets as they wish, and maybe swim
in the other policy ponds at the same time. There are other policy
ponds. This will unfold quickly enough that we will all get to see the
next chapter in Internet governance. Put on seat belts!

Sam Lanfranco, Chair, NPOC Policy Committee.