From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2016 17:11:54 +0200
Hi Desiree,

I agree with most of what is in the Google statement, and believe the concerns you raise are consistent with what the IAB is also saying. So endorsing their comment doesn’t lead to an endorsement of immediate implementation of gated access, but hopefully allows for this to be done when/if it becomes a policy without too much fuss.

I’ll also add that I agree with most of what is in the statement submitted by Google, but note that this a comment on the implementation of one of the “thick” whois policies — consistent labelling and display of data. ICANN has said in the implementation framework under review that the use of RDAP is one of the policy recommendation outcomes of the “thick” whois PDP. Google have accurately (if memory serves correctly) pointed out that the use of RDAP was not part of the “thick” whois policy at all, and shouldn’t be presented to be so. The repercussions of this being included in the consensus policy is that it would become mandatory for gTLD registries and registrars to begin implementing the use of RDAP, when this mandate didn’t go through a GNSO PDP (yet).

Google also objected to some new mandatory fields (not registrant data) being added to the whois that are optional in the 2013 RAA. ICANN seems to have interpreted the implementation of consistent labelling and display of “thick” whois data to mean that those optional fields now need to be mandatory. There was no recommendation in the “thick” whois policy to that effect either (again…, if memory serves correctly).

To be honest, while I was a member of the PDP working group, I wasn’t an active member of the sub-team that worked on this, so am not sure whether or not these issues were discussed. It’s pretty clear, however, that these implementation guidelines were not part of the GNSO final report and recommendations that were later adopted by the ICANN board.

Anyway…, I don’t see an endorsement of the IAB statement to conflict with anything Google is saying. The IAB was very clear that if ICANN implements RDAP now, it is in the absence of a policy requiring this or specifying how it is to be set up, and should not be misrepresented as anything else.

Thanks.

Amr