From:
Tamir Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamir Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2016 03:44:13 -0400
Hello,

I must say I did not find the reversion in format this year to be
substantively problematic when I cast my ballot. It was a departure from
what I had seen in past years in terms of format, but it was clear to me
that if I only voted for 2 of the three candidates, the final tally
would reflect that the third candidate received less support. I know
sometimes people will not vote for someone simply because they do not
know them or because of regional preferences, so having a negative vote
option is generally preferable, but have filled out past NCSG ballots
with either format.

Second, I agree that suspending an election at this point -- a very
serious affirmative step -- requires (and should require) full consensus
of the executive committee.

Finally, I think there is now a serious legitimacy problem. I therefore
strongly urge the EC to unanimously address the issue to the appellants
satisfaction. The clearest way to do so would be to suspend the election
and reissue the ballots, unless someone else has a better idea.

Best,
Tamir, CIPPIC