From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2015 12:13:01 +0200
Hi Ed,

As far as I can tell, ICANN staff (particularly secretariat) who have posting privileges on various community mailing lists regularly forward public announcements to the lists they have access to. This is at least true for the different lists I am subscribed to (Fellowship alumni, AfrICANN, ArabICANN and others). I’ve always thought of this as a means to help the community simply be as informed as possible.

If you check Maryam’s previous postings to NCSG-DISCUSS, you’ll find that she has posted similar announcements in the past regarding the ICG, ICANN travel support and various solicitations to public comments. None of these were flagged as being inappropriate, so if the difference this time around is the content of the message being announced, I personally wouldn't hold the messenger responsible.

If, in principle, you feel that secretariat support to the NCSG shouldn’t be sending NCSG public announcements of any kind, that’s something we probably should discuss, agree on, and instruct Maryam accordingly. Personally, I would disagree with this. I believe forwarding announcements to NCSG-DISCUSS is quite helpful.

Thanks.

Amr