From:
Neal McBurnett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neal McBurnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2016 18:10:17 -0600
Thanks for the kinds words folks.

I'll just add one thing, below.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 04:09:17PM -0700, Ron Wickersham wrote:
> >From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Neal McBurnett
> ---snip---
> >I hope that the new ballot simply lists NOTA as one option for each contest (rather than being separated out as an option for each candidate), and that the interpretation is that if NOTA is among the winners, that no candidate with less than the NOTA candidate will be seated, and another procedure would be used for filling the vacant seat.  But at this point I would be ok with just using the NOTA total as an indication of desire for improvement in candidates (which we don't seem to have an excess of - think about it folks...), as was done in at least one previous election.
> ---snip
>
> I strongly support this suggestion -- and beg the committee to adopt exactly
> that solution.

Note that I listed two options there.

The option of having NOTA actually be able to win should of course also be accompanied by a specific plan for how the unfilled seats would be filled.  I haven't looked into all the aspects of how that might be done in compliance with the Charter, but as Ron points out it may be challenging to pin down, and is also complicated by the requirements for regional and gender diversity.

If the leadership can agree on a plan for all that which seems to pass muster, that would be nice since it would make the election more meaningful.  But if not, for the time being, it may be easier to punt on that, as was reportedly done, explicitly, in 2011, and "skip" the NOTA votes, taking them in an advisory light.

But my main hope is for the leadership to find a path to agreement here, and prioritize unity about these procedural issues, and for my fellow members to strive for procedural agreement also.  That's what I plan to do, so we can get back to making a difference in ICANN at large.

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/