From:
Lori Schulman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Schulman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 07:05:22 +0000
Hi,

Avri, thank you for the clarification.   I was, admittedly, confused by the string last night.   To the point about the qualifications, I agree that all candidates should demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities when seeking new positions.  In terms of how they have shown that in ICANN, I believe that it is valid to have candidates who may be new to ICANN and the multi-stakeholder process but have exactly the right combination of skills and experience to get the job done and I would hope the NCSG PC and all other committees are truly open to that or we will always be fighting the "task fatigue" that I have heard many complain about.  To your point again, I now understand that we haven't reached that stage of the process yet but I think that this is worth saying at this early stage.

The IANA transition coordination group is a critical position and I certainly think that having an understanding of ICANN and the issues is crucial, as we identified in the PC meeting.  However, there may new people out there with equivalent credentials and we should be open to the possibility of appointing/electing them as well.

In support of Sam and others like Sam who may want to throw in their hat, Sam has an incredible combination of substantive work, academicand policy experience that would make him particularly suited to the task and he has the time.  I also think that it is difficult to discern "tone" on email and that Avri's question about Sam's qualifications would have been best answered rather than have Sam withdraw due to perceived acrimony.   My experience with NCSG is that this is a very strong group with a direct, sometimes blunt, way of communicating.  I would say that is understandable to perceive some of the questioning as hostile when, in fact, in may not be intended that way.

Lori

Lori S. Schulman · General Counsel

1703 North Beauregard Street

Alexandria, VA  22311-1714