From:
Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 15:22:09 +0000

It drepends on the political situation. A motivated, disciplined faction of governments could rationally calculate that

a) we have a majority of votes
b) we are likely to retain a majority for some time
c) we share common interests (or enemies) across a number of IG issues

...and conclude, let's make this thing run on majority of govts, and we will have control of it.
This kind of thing does happen in the UNGA, does it not? I am not saying this is imminent in the GAC/IG world, but it does not seem entirely implausible.

Milton L Mueller
Laura J and L. Douglas Meredith Professor
http://faculty.ischool.syr.edu/mueller/