From:
"Andrew A. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew A. Adams
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 23:26:13 +0900
> Thanks for forwarding that;
>
> Two lines that stick out for me:
>
> > Given that there appear to be a number of issues where the Board and the GAC still
> > need to agree a common approach

> > While fully respecting the Board's right not to accept GAC advice, the GAC is
> > obliged to ensure that existing rights, the rule of law and the security and protection of
> > citizens, consumers and businesses, and the principle of national sovereignty for
> > governments are all maintained within the new environment, as well as respect for
> > legitimate interests and sensitivities regarding terms with national, cultural,
> > geographic and religious significance. The GAC is committed to taking whatever time
> > is required to achieving these essential public policy objectives.

And as soon as all the members of GAC can achieve complete consensus on all
these issues and agree and implement treaties, I'm sure that ICANN will
happily comply with such new international laws. Until that time, the
bottom-up stakeholder approach ICANN's system supposedly embraces provides
the only sensible way forward for balancing the needs of the entire connected
(and potentially connected) world.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      [log in to unmask]
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and