From:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 13:35:01 -0700
On May 5, 2013, at 4:39 PM, Timothe Litt wrote:

> On 05-May-13 18:10, Robin Gross wrote:
>> Another reminder that anyone who wishes to contribute to NCSG policymaking should have filed a recent Statement of Interest with ICANN ("recent" = in the last year or sooner if material change).
>>
>> Here's the link for creating and maintaining GNSO Member Statements of Interests:
>>   https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/New+SOIs
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robin
>>

> I must have missed this requirement, other than it being required of those running for elected office in NCSG/NCUC or seeking appointment as representatives to other parts of ICANN.

The GNSO (not just NCSG) requires anyone who participate in a GNSO working group, drafting team, council or other policymaking body to fill out the SOI form.  The reasons for the requirement are accountability and transparency.  Since "anyone" can participate in ICANN policymaking, these forms allow folks to see if one is advocating on their own behalf or if they represent a third-party or other interest in their policy advocacy efforts.   Since our stakeholder group is responsible to represent the interests of non-commercial users exclusively, if other interests are in fact being represented in our policymaking efforts, we need to know about it.

> What, exactly does "contribute to NCSG policymaking" mean?  Being a member of NCSG?  Does participating in the discussions on this list rise to the level of requiring one?  Or does this apply only to those who participate in extra-NCSG forums?  Or what is the threshold?

There hasn't been a bright line test for this - we have largely participated on an "honor system" where if someone is advocating for policy positions to be taken by the NCSG that they take it upon themselves to fill out the SOI and declare their interests.  Perhaps there should be a bright line threshold.  Perhaps there should be more enforcement.  I would be curious to hear what members think on these points.

> Being curious, I followed the link.  It requires an ID and password to create an SOI, but does not indicate how to obtain one.
Send an email to: glen (at) ICANN.org to get the ID and password for the ICANN wiki where one fills out the SOI.

> I looked at one that had been filed, and it seems to largely duplicate questions from the membership application.
There may be some duplication, but the NCSG membership form is just for NCSG and only filled out once.  The SOI is a GNSO-wide required form that should be kept current by all of those in the GNSO who wish to actively participate in ICANN policymaking.  The SOI is an important tool for achieving more accountability and transparency in ICANN's policymaking process.  NCSG expects these things from ICANN and so we should provide them in our own policymaking efforts.

Thanks,
Robin