From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2014 17:57:03 -0500
Dan,

I agree to the point of believing that had we (us and ICANN) kept our
eye on core values and the remit we, and ICANN, would never have gone
down the NETMundial Initiative (NMI) path the way we did. That is not to
say that there would be no NMI, or that we would have had nothing to do
with its shape, or no role in the operations of a NMI. It means that
ICANN the organization, and ICANN's stakeholder groups, would have
decided to engage, or not engage, using a very different process, rather
the "new produce release" strategy that was used, a strategy that has
produced so much confusion, much expenditure of energy, and occasion
bits of acrimony. There was a better way and that way is represented in
how ICANN does what it does well. It would be sad for ICANN, and the
general fate of the inclusive multistakeholder model, to lose that.

Sam