From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:17:25 -0500
Hi,

It was discussed in one of the meetings and prevented a lot of
complexities about changed bylaws affecting already executed contracts.
I did not contribute to the conversation but do support the idea of
grandfathering.

Insisting on all changes applying to all existing contracts will
probably end up a non starter for many. Partly because no one will know
the implications and it will cause a degree of instability.  The new
provisions will apply when contracts are next re negotiated.

avri

On 30-Nov-15 13:32, David Post wrote:

> The current Proposal (Annex 5 para 21) states in a "Note":  "For the
> avoidance of uncertainty, the language of existing registry agreements
> and registrar accreditation agreements should be grandfathered."
>
> I don't believe any of the previous circulated drafts contained this
> language, and in my opinion it represents a very serious, and very
> substantial, step backwards in this process.
>
> To begin with, it is not clear what "grandfathering" these agreements
> mean.  One possible implication is that everything within the existing
> agreements is within ICANN's Mission - or to put it differently, that
> the language of the Mission Statement should be interpreted in a
> manner such that all provisions of the existing agreements are inside
> the "picket fence" of ICANN's enumerated powers. The opposite
> implication is possible, too - that there are elements of the existing
> agreements that are NOT within the Mission, but which are nonetheless
> being "grandfathered" in so that they will not be invalidated in the
> future (notwithstanding their inconsistency with the Mission).
>
> I believe that the former interpretation may be the one that is
> intended - and I strongly disagree with that, and strongly dissent.
> The existing agreements contain a number of provisions that are
> outside the scope of ICANN's powers as we have defined it in the
> Mission Statement.  One most prominent example:  In Specification 1 of
> the new gTLD Registry Agreement, Registry operators agree to a set of
> mandatory "public interest commitments" - PICs - and to adhere to "any
> remedies ICANN imposes (which may include any reasonable remedy,
> including for the avoidance of doubt, the termination of the Registry
> Agreement pursuant to Section 4.3(e) of the Agreement) following a
> determination by any PICDRP panel and to be bound by any such
> determination."
>
> Among the mandatory PICs, the Registry operator must "include a
> provision in its Registry-Registrar Agreement that requires Registrars
> to include in their Registration Agreements a provision prohibiting
> Registered Name Holders from ... engaging in activity contrary to
> applicable law, and providing (consistent with applicable law and any
> related procedures) consequences for such activities including
> suspension of the domain name."
>
> Prohibiting domain name holders from "engaging in activity contrary to
> applicable law" is NOT within ICANN's scope as defined in the Mission
> Statement.  It is neither a matter "for which uniform or coordinated
> resolution is reasonably necessary to facilitate the openness,
> interoperability, resilience, security and/or stability of the DNS,"
> nor was it "developed through a bottom-up, consensus-based
> multi-stakeholder process and designed to ensure the stable and secure
> operation of the Internet’s unique names systems."
>
> /ICANN should not have the power to revoke, or to impose on others the
> [...]

---