From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2016 09:57:27 +0300
Picking up loose threads:

On Aug 25 15:06, Stephanie Perrin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> Folks I am no math wizard, but it does seem to me that Avri's
> explanation is correct (and the later, more haiku version even
> better).  If every single voter voted for one or two Council
> candidates and NOTA, then NOTA would win, and the candidate with the
> fewest votes would drop off.  Seems obvious to me.   The candidate
> with the fewest votes always drops off.

This may seem obvious to you, but it is *not* how it now works
(nor did Avri explain it that way - her explanation was correct
apart from the borderline case that someone gets exactly same
number of votes as NOTA).

Instead, *ALL* candidates who receive less votes than NOTA will
fail to be elected.

So if NOTA gets most votes, no candidates will be elected.

Not that this is likely to matter in practice, as NOTA has
never received a significant number of votes, but it's better
to be precise just in case.

--
Tapani Tarvainen