From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:24:45 -0500
I would like to pick up on one point in Wolfgang’s posting, the long
recognized position that consultation with stakeholders is not enough.
In other work I have just spent time dealing with the ethics of
archaeology, which at first glance may seem distant from our work around
Internet governance, but where in fact the field faces many similar
challenges.

The preservation and presentation of cultural heritage artifacts
contrasts with collecting dinosaur bones. Dinosaurs are extinct but
cultural communities are live concerned constituencies with regard to
the whats, the hows, and the whys of cultural heritage. How are
archaeologists dealing with this issue? Much of the field is well beyond
"consultation" and deeply into stakeholder engagement in its work.
Beyond that, at the leading edge of engagement, archaeologists are
exploring the notion of stakeholder rights of engagement.  Stakeholder
rights of engagement goes beyond Article 19 in the Universal Declaration
of Human Rights. The idea of Stakeholder-rights is something that will
require more attention and development across governance, policy
development and implementation processes as we move forward.

Sam Lanfranco

On 17/12/2015 5:02 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> I also want to congratulate both our Coordination Committee and the individual speakers. To have five civil society spaekers in a Special session of the United Nations General Assembly is remarkable. It was also important to demonstrate that CS in this IG space is (still) united around values - mainly human rights and sustainable development - but is also diverse and has different approaches if it comes to the details.
>
> On the other hand, the whole procedure of the WSIS 10+ review process has to be questioned. The exclusion of non-governmental stakeholders in the final negotiations can not be a model for future Internet Governance discussions. One have to recognize that the two co-facilitators (and the president of the UNGA) did much more than one could expect to give non-governmental stakeholders opportunities to express their voices. However the future for producing outcome has to go beyond an "inter-governmental committee" which "consults" with stakeholders. The WSIS 10+ plenary during the IGF in Brazil, November 2015, was remarkable. Four micophones with four queues and one screen where language was emerging in an open dialogue. It demonstrated that the "NetMundial" model (with its even greater complexity) can work. Here we can see the first lights of a new Approach in the future. And the IGF - now safe for ten years - could be the bridge-builder for new innovative multistakeholder me!
 chanisms
 and outcomes.