From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2015 17:11:31 -0400
Hi,

What I understood was that NTIA asked them for a proposal and Verisign
and ICANN corporate together came up with something they submitted to NTIA.

Guess I need to confirm that, but it is what I heard reported at a
meeting earlier today.

But blaming NTIA might be more fun.

avri

On 21-Aug-15 16:57, Pranesh Prakash wrote:
> Dear all, > Given that the root zone maintainer function is one of the crucial
parts of this moving ship along with the root zone administrator and the
root zone operator, it is shocking that NTIA has decided to go ahead
unilaterally on this issue by consulting the two parties who would argue
for status quo on this issue. > > Plus ça change, plus c'est la même
chose. > > Regards, > Pranesh > > Rafik Dammak <[log in to unmask]>
[2015-08-18 12:06:42 +0900]: >> Hi everyone, >> >> please find below the
blog post from NITA with update about the process. >> quite interesting
points: the extension of the contract till September 2016 >> and also
the proposal submitted by verisign and ICANN. >> >> Best Regards, >> >>
Rafik Dammak >> >> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- >> >> Hi all,
CWG-Stewardship work by extension. Here is the original link: >>
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/update-iana-transition. The text of
the >> blog is copied below for your convenience. >> >> An Update on the
IANA Transition >> August 17, 2015 by Assistant Secretary for
Communications and Information >> and NTIA Administrator Lawrence E.
Strickling >> [image: Assistant Secretary for Communications and
Information and NTIA >> Administrator Lawrence E. Strickling] >> >> The
Internet’s global multistakeholder community has made tremendous >>
progress in its work to develop a proposal to transition the historic >>
stewardship role NTIA has played related to Internet’s domain name
system >> (DNS). >> >> When we announced >>
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition-key-internet-domain-name-functions>
>> our >> intent in March 2014 to complete the privatization of the DNS,
we noted >> that the base period of our contract with ICANN to perform
technical >> functions related to the DNS, known as the IANA functions,
expired on >> September 30, 2015. However, it has become increasingly
apparent over the >> last few months that the community needs time to
complete its work, have >> the plan reviewed by the U.S. Government and
then implement it if it is >> approved. >> >> Accordingly, in May we
asked the groups developing the transition documents >> how long it
would take to finish and implement their proposals.  After >> factoring
in time for public comment, U.S. Government evaluation and >>
implementation of the proposals, the community estimated it could take
>> until at least September 2016 to complete this process. In response
to >> their feedback, we informed Congress on Friday that we plan to
extend our >> IANA contract with ICANN for one year to September 30,
2016. Beyond 2016, >> we have options to extend the contract for up to
three additional years if >> needed. >> >> This one-year extension will
provide the community with the time it needs >> to finish its work. The
groups are already far along in planning the IANA >> transition and are
currently taking comments on their IANA transition >> proposals. As we
indicated in a recent Federal Register notice >>
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/fr_iana_transition_comment_notice_08102015.pdf>,
>> we encourage all interested stakeholders to engage and weigh in on
the >> proposals. >> >> In preparation for the implementation phase of
the IANA stewardship >> transition, NTIA also asked Verisign and ICANN
to submit a proposal >> detailing how best to remove NTIA’s
administrative role associated with >> root zone management, which the
groups working on the transition were not >> asked to address. We asked
Verisign and ICANN to submit a proposal >> detailing how best to do this
in a manner that maintains the security, >> stability and resiliency of
the DNS. Under the current root zone management >> system, Verisign
edits and distributes the root zone file after it has >> received
authorization to do so from NTIA. Verisign and ICANN have >> developed a
proposal >>
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/root_zone_administrator_proposal-relatedtoiana_functionsste-final.pdf>
>> that >> outlines a technical plan and testing regime for phasing out
the largely >> clerical role NTIA currently plays in this process. The
testing will occur >> in a parallel environment that will not disrupt
the current operation of >> the root zone management system. >> >> These
developments will help ensure that the IANA transition will be done >>
in a manner that preserves the security and stability of the DNS. >> >

---