From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:52:22 -0700
I'm inclined to agree with Milton, but I want to consider Bill's
alternative view first.

Whatever philosophy applies to GAC should apply to other SGs as well.  If 2
is not enough to "represent" the full spectrum of government interests,
then why should that be enough to represent the full spectrum of other
stakeholder group interests?  Should consensus be assumed to be any more
likely within other SGs (at the SG level) than for governments as a group?
Proportional parity between SGs seems in order, here.

Also, is it not possible for a single representative to express a
multiplicity of positions within a group, if such varied positions exist,
and to bring a full spectrum of positions to the discussion?

Structure of the CG depends partly on the mandate and mission of the CG
(can someone reiterate a quick sound-bite on what the CG is trying to
accomplish, under what authority?).  If important outcomes are going to be
arrived at by vote, then that speaks to a voting structure.  If it is more
of a consensus process, then voting should not be quite as important as
long as all views are being aired.  (Devil-in-the-details caveat, as usual.
Even in consensus processes, an informal counterpart to voting still
applies: there is greater perceived influence when greater numbers of
participants voice a similar opinion, even if "the ideas" are supposed to
have full weight unto themselves.  The realities of human psychology --
especially unconscious processes -- erode the pure rationality of the
process.  The practical measure of whether a "pure idea" has weight tends
to involve how many people in the group are convinced by the idea.)

But how large a body is the CG (as Bill asks), and does the number of
participants affect the productivity of its work?  If one multiplies the
number of participants all around (proportionally), then that dilutes the
influence of any single participant.  I'm not sure whether that's better or
worse, depends on the mission and decision processes at hand.  Will it be
easier or harder to get things done with more or less participants?

If GAC is really trying to gain proportionally greater influence on the CG,
then I think that should be forcefully resisted.  If GAC just wants to have
accurate expression of its varied views (and thinks that requires all
"viewers" being explicitly present), then that should be extended equally
to other SGs at the same time.  All or nothing.

The guiding principle, to me, is resisting any increase in proportional
influence of the GAC in the CG, according to whatever excuse, valid or not.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.