From:
Cedric Laurant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cedric Laurant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:54:58 +0100
Jorge,

The only difference I'd see between a website like torrent-finder.com
and one of the major search engines (Bing, Google,...) is the fact
that torrent-finder uses frames to show the links to torrent websites
and even to the illegal torrent files themselves.  It also displays,
on top of the search field, a list of torrent websites that
presumably must have paid torrent-finder to be listed there.

Torrent-finder could then be considered to derive some benefit from
linking to those torrent websites and torrent files, made more
obvious by its use of framing that graphically makes its user think
he still is on torrent-finder's website.  A search engine like
Google, however, generally links to results without any framing,
although it does derive benefits from its use of AdSense ads on its
right margin.

The difference between making a link by "framing" and one by a deep
link was made clear in a 1998 case: Washington Post v. TotalNews  (97
Civ. 1190 (S.D.N.Y., filed Feb. 2, 1997).
http://jolt.law.harvard.edu/articles/pdf/v11/11HarvJLTech401.pdf

Cedric
---
>Thanks Brenden,