From:
Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:01:45 +0000
Timothe

You are way, way, way off-base in this accusation. Everything the NCUC has done around trademark-domain name conflicts in the past 15 years has been done precisely to carve out a space for individual rights and individual registrants against excessive claims of TM owners, governments, etc.

Here are some excerpts from the statement Kathy proposed. Did you read it?

"For example, when the final report goes out to the Community with questions of whether the URS (Uniform Rapid Suspension) worked for trademark owners, we also should be asking whether the URS worked for New gTLD Registrants and what obstacles they faced to education and information in responding to URS claims. "

" Should the goal have been only “to reach trademark holders worldwide to inform them of the services related to the Clearinghouse via webinars and Q&F sessions” or should it have been to inform the worldwide community of a massive change in the rules of registration of domain names in the New gTLDs and a new set of protections and notices that ALL registrants should know about and understand.  Did the TMCH devote even one second or one dollar to outreach, webinars and Q&A session to explain the impact of the Trademark [Claims] Notice to those receiving it, to answer questions that may arise from ambiguities or the publication of this new type of notice, or to ensure that those registrants who the Trademark Notice was meant to protect were not artificially “chilled” from moving forward with the registration of a domain name if they had the rights to do so."

" Our concern is of course that no education and no information was provided to the global community by ICANN or the TMCH.   This has left noncommercial registrants, small businesses, and individuals without the guidance that these rules and policies are designed to protect all legitimate overlapping uses of words, names, phrases, acronyms for future domain names, just as they have been protected for existing ones"

" We request that the questions in the next draft and related reports be expanded to see if the sunrise period gives unfair advantage to trademark owners far outside their categories of goods and services. In cases where a New gTLD caters to .PIZZA should Delta Airlines really have a right of first registration?   For New gTLDs and future gTLDs catering to individuals, noncommercial organizations, religious groups, etc., should the Sunrise Period exist at all?  "

I could go on, for a long time. To claim that this comment doesn’t take into account the individual registrant is just a false claim and you should withdraw it and acknowledge your error.

--MM