From:
Tamir Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamir Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2015 13:09:35 -0400
Yes, if the disagreement is not over mission creep, but over whether
ICANN should or should not act in accordance w/all human rights, I
believe it should. Rough consensus makes sense.

Very quickly to Ed's point about IPRs and 'free expression/free flow',
neither of those are any prophylactic against IPR excess. For one thing,
free flow of information is not a human right, freedom of expression is.
For another, other comparable instruments include both of those
commitments and IPR excess in the same breadth. Finally, many have
argued (quite successfully in some jurisdictions) that IPR protection
does not even factor into free expression, whether IPRs are protected by
property/reputation rights or not.  The same can be said for other types
of free expression restrictions. All of which to say, we will face these
arguments regardless of whether all human rights are included or just one.

Finally, I think trying to draft and define our own list of human rights
to be protected is highly inadvisable, but in any case I don't think it
will bring us any closer to consensus. I can see already that many would
object to the inclusion of rights that ICANN must, in my view, respect
like privacy, non-discrimination, association, due process, etc.

Best,
Tamir