From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 07:22:03 -0800
Hi,

Indeed.  And that is why the IETF is dedicating a major portion of this meeting to exactly that problem - how do we stop any government from pervasive surveillance.

Some of today's sessions are probably worth a listen.

http://ietf88streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf/ietf889.m3u

4.  Technical Topic: Internet Hardening

       New reports of large-scale Internet traffic monitoring appear almost
       every day.  We were all aware that targeted interception was taking
       place, but the scale and scope in the recent reports is surprising.
       Such scale was not envisaged during the design of many Internet
       protocols; the threat is quite different than expected.  Now, the
       Internet community must consider the consequences.

       While details of these attack techniques remain largely unknown, we
       can talk about possible ways to harden the Internet in light of
       pervasive Internet monitoring.  We can take a closer look at our
       protocols and the security properties that they provide.

       A panel will summarize recent discussions and suggest potential IETF
       actions to make large-scale monitoring more difficult.

       a.  Introduction (Bruce Schneier)

           What we know and what we do not know.

       b.  Earlier IETF Debates (Brian Carpenter)

           The IETF has several cornerstone documents about Internet
           security and privacy, including RFCs 1984, 3365, 2804, and 6973.

       c.  Potential IETF Activities (Stephen Farrell)

           Summary of the discussion on the perpass mailing list.

and

http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/88/agenda-88-perpass.html
http://ietf88streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf/ietf888.m3u

Perpass "BoF" session - Considering pervasive monitoring
Wed, Nov 6, 1300, Regency D room

Goals:

- The primary goal of the session is to identify and plan for concrete IETF
activities (e.g. new standards track documents or BCPs) that help mitigate
pervasive monitoring.

- As a secondary goal we also want to figure out how to use perpass list after
Vancouver.

Chairs: Stephen Farrell/Sean Turner

Mailing list:

Jabber: [log in to unmask] (log:
http://jabber.ietf.org/logs/perpass
)
Audio:
http://ietf88streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf/ietf888.m3u

Scribes: Paul Woulters, Karen O'Donoghue, Wendy Selzer
Jabber scribe: Dan York

Materials:
- There's a list of relevant sessions here:

http://down.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/misc/perpass-sessions.txt

- And a rough list of relevant materials here:

https://down.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/misc/perpass.txt

- Elwyn Davies packaged up those drafts on Oct 29, a
  tarball can be found from the list archive here:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/perpass/current/msg00806.html

minutes - topic

0000 - intro, agenda bash - chairs
0010 - overview pressie - Dave Thaler
0040 - open mic, have we level-set?
0060 - threat model - Brian Trammell
0070 - hard and open topics - Phillip Hallam-Baker
0080 - high level on more use of tls - Mark Nottingham
0090 - privacy bcp - Alissa Cooper
0100 - open mic, comments on pressies, what's missing?
0120 - summarise actions, open-points, Scott Brim
    Scott will try to draft a plan based on what

    he hears at the meeting, then present that here.

0150 - end