From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2015 11:34:16 -0700
This reminds me of a thread we had several weeks back about "public
interest" and I now understand why it is such an issue here, and agree with
Robin and David (and Milton) on this point.

When I think of "public interest" I think mainly of interests where the
benefits are spread out broadly and the collective-action problem is most
at issue.  Things like public goods, market externalities, etc., where a
natural narrow constituency does not exist, where free riding is rampant
("you go ahead and expend the effort and I'll be happy to reap the benefit
for no effort on my own part") and markets fail systematically.  So the
only folks representing those interests tend to be non-profit and
civil-society organizations, which struggle structurally to find the
resources to represent the full interest, because so many (most) people who
would benefit from that representation are free-riding.

Institutionally, I think this should not be decided by any sort of elite
process, especially by a Board that is effectively beholden to no one, that
wants to slap a convenient label on an issue in order to justify something
that is not really described properly by that label.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.