From:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:37:28 -0400
Hi,

I oppose this addition.

Not only do I disagree with the way it is worded, I think that PICs are
important and should be enforced.

I also think that the issue of PICs should be discussed in a PDP and
that they probably should be part of the gTLD SubPro PDP WG
consideration.  New  gTLD SubPro should talk about their use and others
should talk about their enforcement.

I agree that they way they were done in the last round was adhoc and
arbitrary. As far as coercive, while some may claim to having been
coerced many applicants did refuse to create any without any repercussion.

I think that if an applicant applies for name and commits in their
application to enforce some public interest conditions, those should be
included in the contract and should be enforced.

avri

On 20-Sep-16 10:29, Mueller, Milton L wrote:

> Thanks, Vidushi.
>
> I added a new paragraph about PICs (public interest commitments) to
> the HR section.
>

> PICS. We oppose allowing the GAC or ALAC to hold applicants hostage in
> order to extract so-called “Public Interest Commitments” from new
> registries. PICs actually constitute a form of policy making that
> bypasses the GNSO and the entire bottom up process. By imposing
> content regulations on registries, they also can clash with ICANN’s
> new mission statement, which is supposed to prevent it from regulating
> content

---