From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2015 07:36:44 -0400
Tempest in a Tea Cup?

NCSG is a community of interest made up of individuals ranging from
those for whom NCSG is almost a full time volunteer job to those who
wish to, or can only afford to, lurk and learn, contributing when and
where they can. NCSG-discuss postings range across several areas of
interest from the labour and attention intensive ICANN working groups
and ICANN policy and implementation agenda to items about issues in the
parallel universes of Internet governance elsewhere in the Internet
Ecosystem (e.g. IGFs). Occasionally posting are just items of interest
for information for NCSG members.

As for ICANN’s CEO, each of us has a different intensity in the watching
brief we keep on the CEO’s moves and promotional work. As an economist
my warning flags went up when the CEO started waltzing with the World
Economic Forum around the Netmundial Initiative. Posting an occasional
link to the CEO’s activities, or other ICANN activities, is a useful
reminder of what ICANN is up to, what its public face looks like, and
IMHO should redouble NCSG efforts to keep ICANN on track. As for posting
links to what others (GAC, business members, etc.) are up to, an
occasional reminder of what others are up to elsewhere (e.g. IGF) is useful.

If there is a line to be draw here between NCSG member and staff
postings, I would suggest that it is useful for the staff to retain
leeway to post occasional in house ICANN links as information for the
NCSG community, under an understanding with the Chair of NCSG.

Sam L.