From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2016 12:06:40 -0400
I have just returned from participating in INFORMATICA2016 in Havana.
Internet access is still spotty (few Wi-Fi sites) and very expensive for
Cubans.
Most Wi-Fi hot spots are not identified and one is guided (on Obispo
Street, or in local parks) by groups of Cubans on their phones or tablets.
The ETECSA (Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Cuba S.A.) Wi-Fi cards cost
$2US per hour of connect time, very expensive for Cubans
The University of Havana Wi-Fi roll out is constrained by resources and
trade embargo obstacles to certain equipment.
Google is involved with a politically well connected Cuban artist with a
"free" Wi-Fi hot spot that is supposed to be fast but is getting mixed
reports.
As ITU data confirms, Cuba has the skills and expertise to change access
in short order....if there is the Political Will to support that change.

Sam L., NPOC