From:
Enrique Chaparro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Enrique Chaparro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:12:14 -0300
On Sun, Apr 14, 2024 at 7:26 PM Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]
> I personally favor the ICANN staff suggestion that the Council delays the vote,  and allow time to modify that recommendation so as to allow the same entity to apply for (and obtain) a visually similar string if the similarity is diacritic base (case of Québec & .Quebec).

A caveat:
Sometimes diacritics change the meaning of a word. For instance,
in Spanish, "sábana" (bed sheet) and "sabana" (savannah), "papa"
(potato) and "papá" (dad),¹ "revolver" (to stir/to mix) and "revólver"
(a firearm), "secretaria" (secretary - a job description)² and
"secretaría" (an organisation or institution, the office of a 'secretario'
or secretaria),³ etc.

So, the issue could be a little bit more complex than what it seems.

Regards from the Far South,

Enrique

=Notes=
[1] "Papa" is also Pope, usually written with initial capital 'P'

[2] In the case, the job of a female person. Nouns in Spanish are
    grammatically gendered.

[3] E.g., U.S. Department of State is often translated as
    'Secretaría de Estado.'

--
Enrique A. Chaparro
Fundación Vía Libre