From:
Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 13:16:48 -0500

> Any org merely structured, itself, as an NPO that nevertheless has a
> formally stated mission in its own articles of incorporation to serve
> the interests of a for-profit/commercial "secondary" constituency does
> not serve the interests of a non-commercial constituency.

Agreed, Dan. And this has been our practice and our rule in the past. When Amber says that this criterion allows for too much subjectivity I have to disagree. We are mandated to look at the mission of an organization and the services it provides to its members. If they are a nonprofit oriented toward promoting the political or industry interests of commercial entities, such as the RIAA or the American Petroleum Institute, or if the nonprofit is simply an organizational form for providing services to a commercial membership, such as some standards organizations for telecom companies I am familiar with, then it's obvious they are ineligible and incompatible with the whole purpose of NSCG. There is a CSG for those kinds of organizations. This is not really a complicated issue.

Milton L. Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
Internet Governance Project
http://blog.internetgovernance.org