From:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2015 18:59:14 +0200

Hi Sam et al,

Completely agree. With the Cross Community Working Party on ICANNs
Corporate and Social Responsibility to Respect Human Rights (CCWP HR)
we prepared a report in which we try to find answer and approaches to
exactly this issue, which will be presented during ICANN54.

I will share the report here as soon as it is ready. I of course also
invite you all the the CCWP HR session on October 21st Wednesday
morning at 9:00 for the session in Dublin.

Best,

Niels

On 10/03/2015 05:39 PM, Sam Lanfranco wrote:
> I appreciate the back and forth here with regard to ICANN and
> human rights but I hope we do not lose sight of the core issue.
> There is near total agreement that ICANN and its remit are not in
> the business of addressing content issues on the Internet. Those
> have to be addressed elsewhere depending on their nature, and the
> contexts in which they exist
>
> There is however a void here, and it is the need for a more
> explicit position by ICANN on what does and what doesn’t fall
> within its remit with regard to human rights. We can make an
> unending list of what ICANN should not do. That is the easy part.
> The hard part is to look at what is within ICANN's remit and figure
> out if there are areas where ICANN should consider the human rights
> concerns associated with what it does.
>
> It may be the case that nothing ICANN does impacts on human rights.
> I doubt that. But determining if and where ICANN impacts on human
> rights through its policies and practices should be the outcome of
> analysis. That task is different from making a list of areas where
> ICANN should not be concerned. ICANN should have an answer to the
> question: "What is ICANN’s role in Human Rights on the Internet?".
>
> It is not enough for ICANN to simply list where it shouldn’t be
> involved. The focus should be on where it is involved via its
> policies and practices. How well it handles human rights issues in
> those areas where it has an impact will, in the end, be judged by
> the wider Internet stakeholder community, and not by ICANN itself.
> This will be easier for ICANN if it has declared what it sees as
> its role in Human Rights, within the context of its remit, and as
> determined by its policies and its practices.
>
> Sam L. Chair NPOC Policy Committee

- --
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9