From:
Neal McBurnett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neal McBurnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2016 16:17:03 -0600
I've been focused on election integrity for more than a decade, and I have been involved in non-profit governance for a long time also, as well as this group and NCDNHC going back to the beginning, so this discussion is particularly interesting to me.

My advice at this point would be to use the opportunity of the meeting tomorrow to recognize that we need a fresh start on this particular election ballot.  To do otherwise would continue to lead to questions about how to interpret the results, since some people might not see new instructions on how NOTA will be interpreted.

It will also give the leadership a chance to come together on the way the ballot should be worded and interpreted.  That unity among the leadership should help us all come together around our goals and the hard-working volunteers that are each trying in their own way to move us forward.

As to the specifics, at this point, I think this is what I would recommend, though most any procedure that the leadership team agress with would be fine at this point from my perspective.

I hope that the new ballot simply lists NOTA as one option for each contest (rather than being separated out as an option for each candidate), and that the interpretation is that if NOTA is among the winners, that no candidate with less than the NOTA candidate will be seated, and another procedure would be used for filling the vacant seat.  But at this point I would be ok with just using the NOTA total as an indication of desire for improvement in candidates (which we don't seem to have an excess of - think about it folks...), as was done in at least one previous election.

In hope that we can all appreciate each other's perspectives, hard work, and remarkable unity around the many substantive Internet governance problems we are here to help solve,

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/