From:
Katitza Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katitza Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2014 19:37:29 -0800
(apologize for the cross posting)

Dear NCSG community

The Snowden revelations have provided us with disturbing details and
confirmation of some of our worst fears about the NSA and its partners
spying practices.  Indeed, the NSA and its five allies in five
English-speaking countries have been building a global surveillance
infrastructure to “master the internet” and spy on the worlds
communications.

They are undermining basic encryption standards, the very backbone of
the Internet. It has collected the phone records of hundreds of millions
of people not suspected of any crime. It has swept up the electronic
communications of millions of people at home and abroad
indiscriminately, exploiting the digital technologies we use to connect
and inform.  They have secretive data sharing agreements outside of the
rule of law.

But we aren’t going to let the NSA and its five allies to ruin the
Internet. Inspired by the memory of Aaron, fueled by our victory against
SOPA and ACTA, we are joining the DayWeFightBack campaign to fight back
against mass surveillance at home and abroad.

To that end, we are asking you to join the campaign by:

1/ Sending an email to [log in to unmask] confirming your interest to
participate in this action;
2/ Letting us know what you can do in your own country.

I'm hoping to have your answer as soon as possible so we can take the
next steps.

3/ And if you have a huge newsletter database that can reach out to
thousands of individuals, please let us know that too. There might be
other ways where you can collaborate in the global campaign.

The SOPA and ACTA protests were successful because we all took part, as
a community. As Aaron put it, everybody "made themselves the hero of
their own story." We can set a date, but we need all of you, the users
of the Internet, to make it a movement.

More information

Timing

The public-facing side of this campaign is February 11th.

Here's how you can join the effort:

1.  Visit TheDayWeFightBack.org.

2. If you are a citizen of the world, sign the 13 Necessary and
Proportionate Principles here:
https://en.necessaryandproportionate.org/take-action:

Note: We are currently revamping the site so be ready!

3.  Sign up to indicate that you'll participate and receive updates.

4. Use social media tools on the site to announce your participation.

5. Develop memes, tools, websites, and do whatever else you can to
participate and encourage others to do so.

6. Be creative -- plan your own action. Go to the streets. Build a site.
Promote the Principles.