From:
"Horacio T. Cadiz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:49:35 +0800
On 01/04/2012 05:45 AM, Nuno Garcia wrote:

> I tried to talk about this sometime ago - I sincerely believe that the fate
> of ICANN and of the DNS structure relies in the hands of the browser
> manufacturers or, in the hand of software developers who can build
> extensions that circumvent or complement the current DNS query system.

   The behavior of an individual's DNS resolver can be easily changed by
modifying the initialization file (named.boot for BIND) of the software. You
don't have to be a software developer to do it.  But what advantage would an
individual gain if he points to a different root?

   If Microsoft (and ISC) decided to change the default configuration file of
their resolvers, then the default behavior of the DNS would change. After all,
how many MS users actually fiddle around with their DNS settings. But why would
they point to alternative roots?

--
Bombim Cadiz
*  Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) --  *