From:
Kathy Kleiman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Kleiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2015 10:57:43 -0400
Regarding the Public Internet Commitments, I agree with Bill that our discussion needs to be a little more targeted. Certainly a number of companies, particularly portfolio applicants, are throwing in "the kitchen sink" into their PICs and just giving up a lot of things that the GAC and intellectual property owners want.

But a number of applicants are also using their PICs to resolve key questions of their applications -- and make key resolutions and agreements binding as part of their registry contracts. As you will remember, a number of companies applied for generic terms as "Closed Generics" -- e.g., .BOOK wanted all second level domain names to Amazon, .SEARCH all for Google, etc.

I know there were differences of opinion in this WG, but for those who fervently believed that Generic Words belong their communities and that you can't lock them up (and the global book industry and search industries jumped in, talked about the value of generic terms, and sounded just like traditional NCUC members), the Applicants backed down. They agreed to open up the Closed Generics. ** That is the type of commitment that is being embodied in the PIC -- and for many of us, that makes sense. **

In fact, the PIC is the only way to make such a commitment/change binding since the rest of the Registry Agreement between the Applicant and ICANN is a "stock contract" -- called the "base Registry agreement" which is published in the Applicant Guidebook and signed by everyone (one size fits all). These are no longer individually-negotiated agreements.

So I would like to see up being circumspect in how we discuss PICs as many may be helping some of the broader goals we have worked on for some time...
Best,
Kathy

: