From:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 08:33:44 +0100
Hi

On Mar 17, 2014, at 4:42 AM, Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several issues with the IGP and with its principles.  The issue discussed below of putting a single stakeholder type in charge is as much a non starter in my mind as giving it over to uni-stakeholder control by governments

Which is why I suggested a more general statement applauding the NTIA move and saying the process to figure out how to move forward should be inclusive multistakeholder community oriented and we expect to be involved etc. That’s really all that’s needed as an immediate response, and it’s broadly consistent with how others will be playing it.  It seems entirely premature to expect everyone here to align behind a specific institutional set up most won’t have had time to consider fully and before the conversation on the potential costs/benefits of different configurations has really begun on a broader basis than a handful of folks on the 1Net list.  “I’ll have what he’s having” is an ok decision rule in a cheap restaurant but not with something as important as this, which inter alia will position NCSG viz. the process and other players going forward in ways we’d have to be prepared to defend and live with.

How about doing something simple now we can all readily agree on and save the specific institutional recommendations for the stage when the world is seriously focused on specific institutional recommendations?  Easier, and more strategic in terms of timing.

Bill

> On 16-Mar-14 21:40, Nicolas Adam wrote:
>> Thank you Amr for the link.
>>
>> I've just read the 4 principles and they sound very acceptable to me. It
>> is good work, I think, on the part of the author(s), and I would
>> recommend NCSG endorse the principles.
>>
>> I've only one comment/query I'd like to throw in at this time.
>>
>> With regard Principle #4
>>

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Second, globalizing IANA as proposed here actually improves the
>>> accountability situation. The DNSA structure would introduce an
>>> important new safeguard into the way the domain name system is
>>> governed. Moving the DNS-related IANA functions out of ICANN and into
>>> the hands of a neutral consortium of registries dramatically limits
>>> ICANN’s ability to “go rogue.”
>>>
>>> (...)
>>
>> Doesn't this give registries the ability to "go rogue", say if policy
>> would alter their market landscape in a way that would threaten the
>> status quo?
>>
>> Just a thought, and I don't mean this as a nail in the clog (or whatever
>> the correct English expression is) for this (I rather think at this
>> moment) elegantly thought out proposal.
>>
>> Nicolas
>>

>> On 2014-03-16 10:07 AM, Amr Elsadr wrote:
>>> I agree too. Personally, I really like the submission by Milton and
>>> Brenden. I wouldn’t mind NCSG endorsing it, or at least developing a
>>> statement based on the four principles outlined in it. If anyone
>>> hasn’t read the submission and is interested to do so, check it out
>>> here: Roadmap for globalizing IANA: Four principles and a proposal for
>>> reform
>>> <http://content.netmundial.br/contribution/roadmap-for-globalizing-iana-four-principles-and-a-proposal-for-reform-a-submission-to-the-global-multistakeholder-meeting-on-the-future-of-internet-governance/96>.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Amr

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org
[log in to unmask] (direct), [log in to unmask] (lists),
  www.williamdrake.org