From:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2017 11:14:55 -0500
Hi,

> Conflict or confrontation between At Large and NCUC is weakening its role,

I do not see this conflict of confrontation.  I see a few people in each
of the grouping who have difficulty with playing nicely with others, but
not any degree of conflict.  Certainly not what existed in the past.  In
fact we have many people who are members of both  At large and NCSG -
not sure why you single out NCUC in your discussions.

The idea of a united and unified civil society is a pipe dream from way
back.  Look at all of the civil society groupings that have existed
through time - except in times of extreme danger, we mostly have
problems with each other for ideological and tactical reasons.  It is a
goal worth the efforts of enhanced cooperation, but it not a reason to
reorganize in ways that would weaken the aggregation called civil society.

I think that the organizational architecture of ICANN with a set of
groups that specialize and make policy recommendations, and groups of
generalists that give advice, is quite good and is not something to be
sacrificed. I think we are well along on desiloization by having opened
up WGs to everybody and by having cross community WGs when the concerns
were organization wide.   These are the tools of enhanced cooperation.

I think it is a mistake to hearken everything back to the 3+1 Tunis
Agenda stakeholder group divisions.  Human society divides itself among
along many axes, and the TA 3+1 model is just one.  Individuals and
organizations can exist in more than one category at a time.   I think
it is reasonable to say that the interests in gTLD are divided among
contracted parties and non contracted, and that these are further
subdivided.  And it makes that Users remain undivided between commercial
and non commercial and focus on their geographical orientation and needs.

I think the real power comes in working together from our various
perspectives, not in becoming a single group. When we agree we can be
formidable, and when we don't we can move forward without needing
suppress any particular interest.  I think that having civil society
people in many of the ICANN structure, Board,  At-Large, GNSO,  SSAC and
even some GAC delegations gives civil society a greater voice. In the
GNSO we not only have NCSG with its two constituencies, we have a
nascent non-commercial element in the Registry SG that should not be
ignored.  Pushing for something that might ghettoize CS  participating
in ICANN to match the model in internet governance would be worrisome.
Yes, we need continuous improvement at ICANN, and yes we need to find
ways for the civil society people, as defined by the Tunis Agenda and
IGOs, to cooperate as often as possible from their various points of
view and vantage points. But we do not need a revolution or
reorganization that decreases our scope or reach and pushes us into a
common corner that can be ignored.

The ALAC review has some good stuff and some brain dead stuff in it.
That was the case with the GNSO review as well.  That is ok, as they are
(mostly) outsiders who do not necessarily understand what is going on.
How many people really understood any of our organizations after
studying them for 6 months and interviewing a small handful of people?
How may studies done unscientifically really manage to capture the
public opinion?  These reviews give people a snapshot from outside and
can be useful if one looks at the output critically. At this point it is
worth making sure that those doing the review have as accurate picture
as they are capable of understanding.  After it is final it will be time
for ICANN community to decide what to do with that report and its
recommendations: whether to implement parts because they are useful or
ignore them because they are nonsense.  And given the degree of
bottom-up governance we attempt to have at ICANN, it will then be up to
At-large with the Board, as was done in the GNSO review, to decide what
to do next. Additonally this was a review of At large not NCSG (or even
NCUC), I would think any recommendations concerning NCSG are really just
unsubstantiated opinion, interesting but out of scope.

This is not the time for yet another revolution. Especially not one that
might serious weaken and hamper that loose aggregation called civil
society.  What is useful is for us to talk and cooperate among ourselves.

avri

---