From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2015 08:21:12 -0400
Hi,

I did support removing it.

I would also have supported a statement put in that commits the Board to
holding the line on the mission and other bylaws.   Though I did not
suggest one and I think  it would be redundant as 187 already makes that
point quite strongly:

> ICANN shall have no power to act other than in accordance with, and as
> reasonably appropriate to achieve its Mission. Without in any way
> limiting the foregoing absolute prohibition, ICANN shall not engage in
> or use its powers to attempt the regulation of services that use the
> Internet's unique identifiers, or the content that they carry or provide.

I strongly believe this is the Board's responsibility, not the
individual ACSO.  And this statements is rather strong.

(Though a 'the Board shall have a backbone' value  clause might have value.)

As an example of other ACSO not being under the obligation to act with
the bylaws:  in the GNSO.  We get legal opinion of whether our PDPs are
in scope by legal in the issues reports.  Yet we can vote to do a PDP
anyway, and can send recommendations to the Board that may or may not be
within the Bylaws. It is up to them to tell us no if we go beyond the
bylaws.

If we want to commit all ACSO to only suggest advice or recommendations
that are within the bylaws, we have a much bigger job to do.

avri

---