From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2015 14:22:38 -0800
Just a quick comment (I cannot attend the Singapore meeting), I share
Amr's caution.

If indeed we could get all IP matters viewed through the lens of consumer
interests (including but not limited to "consumer protection"), that would
be a great thing.  Consumer interests would, in my book, also include
prevention of anti-competitive practices that limit consumer choice, or
even suppress consumer speech.  We certainly want to prevent fraud and
avoid confusion in the name of clarity, and that is what trademark is
legitimately about.  If it stopped there, things would probably work
fairly well.

Especially, the structural differences between DNS and trademark need to
be kept front and center at all times.  Trademark has geographical and
market-related limits, whereas DNS has no such thing (except perhaps to a
limited extent geographically in the ccTLDs -- but not for gTLDs).  It is
simply not a 1-to-1 mapping, and to try to force-fit it will lead to no
good.

Balance is what everyone claims to be after, and if such claims are made
in good faith then maybe there is a way to find common ground.  That would
be a good thing.  It's worth giving that a chance, but it has to start
with honest acknowledgement of over-reach.  It seems to me that
"education" may be warranted on both sides of the issues here.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.